Thursday, April 26, 2007

Superman to The Rescue (aka How Steve Saved Us from a Terrible Death!)

* Please note all pictures are in fact a reenactment of what took place today after the actual event (with the exception of Charlotte whose photo was taken during the event by Steve)

So it started out as a normal day and the weather was nice. After finishing "Sleeping Beauty," the kids wanted to play outside. They had fun (with a pinch of fighting mixed in) as I fed Gianna, changed my shirt from spit up, cleaned the kitchen, fed Gianna, changed my shirt from spit up, changed her diaper, put away laundry, fed Gianna, changed my shirt from spit up, etc. I decided it was a good time to take some photos so I took Gia outside, after a while realized it was too bright and I should finish cleaning. On my way inside, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move. I turned to see what it was saw this

I immediately screamed for the kids to hurry and come inside. It was on the wall by the door so I did not want to chance it running inside. Ava had been pushing Minnie in a stroller and was hesitant to leave her but I told her there was not time and she must come in or stay out. Of course she came in. As I dialed all of the numbers I could think of for Steve (meanwhile keeping an eye on our scary friend). Ava was crying because we had left Minnie outside strapped in the stroller with no one to let her out so surely the spider was going to get her.


Steve still wasn't answering the fifth round of calls in the past minute so I called the front desk of his work and had him paged. As he answered the phone I tried to remain calm and tell him he needed to come home now and get rid of this furry beast or else the kids and I would never go in the backyard again. He assured me he was on his way. Meanwhile Ms. Eight Legged Freak (tm) decided she was gonna move, and as protector of my children I was not going to let her out of my sight. So I told the kids the plan, "Mommys going to open the door and we are going to run as fast as we can to the other side of the yard so I can watch the spider". So quickly Mateo ran first but Ava remained frozen inside so I closed the door and ran by Mateo. Ava was not happy with this situation and decided that she wanted out. So we helped her out and climbed on the benches outside.


Meanwhile Steve was on the phone and I had Mateo running up to the door (he was the only brave one) to knock on it because it kept the enormous thing from moving.
However on about his 5th trip to knock the spider fell of the wall, which in turn caused Ava and I to scream for our lives. From then on Mateo was not about going near the door so him and Ava brought me shovels, balls and other things to throw that way and keep the spider away from us. Even poor Diego risked his life for us!



Finally Steve showed up but instead of getting rid of the spider right away decided it was an opportune moment to take pictures of the ferocious jumping thing.

However after taking his snapshots he finally got rid of our scarier and more threatening version of Charlotte's web.



Mateo cheered "yay Daddy" and once again all was well in the Hays household.

*Yes a spider was harmed in the making of these events.

I am sorry to you spider lovers out there,but I am not one at all in fact I have arachnophobia as well as cockroachphobia so this is the way it goes in my place.

(note added by Steve, in addition to the title: The spider was about 1 inch in diameter, max. We're not talking a freakin Tarantula here, never mind Maria's description. A big spider, sure, but the "white butt" that was so fearfully described was some sort of egg or sac or something.)

No comments: